Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 16:53:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
In a message dated 5/19/2003 3:19:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm stumped.  I have a mom (who has given me permission to ask) whose baby
> is now over 12 weeks old, and baby just experienced a plateauing of her
> weight, (again)ultimately requiring supplementation to
> achieve weight gain.

Linda,

It may help to have more history on this BF dyad re: baby's birth weight, lowest weight, time to regain birth weight, monthly gain, current weight, and DOB. In addition, the baby's 24 hour feeding pattern/feeding recall would help, including any changes, e.g. when it's said the baby recently began sleeping through the night, just how many hours is that without a feeding/without milk removal? How long does a typical feeding take; does the mom use both breasts; does baby self-detach, etc.? Has baby been fed on cue from the get-go or has the mom been working on moving baby into a regular routine? Have 24-hour pee/poop counts ever been an issue? How often does this mother use the PIS in a typical 24 hour period? (Since you already talked to her about pump type, 'nuff said.)

I think having the degree of tongue tie and effect on tongue movement assessed is a great idea.

I've met a lot of women who said they had production ("supply") issues with previous babies, but almost all also had BF/lactation management issues, too, so I don't generally find that info noteworthy for the present situation. Sometimes it is, but I find i have to really dig deep for info to assess a true production issue, unless a mother has really good recall for details of previous experiences.

I realize this just adds questions rather than provide possible answers...Sorry.

Karen

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2