From:
Tanya Lieberman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:28:53 -0400
My son was diagnosed with mild to moderate kidney reflux and hydronephrosis
via prenatal ultrasound.  He was full term, and was put on daily antibiotics
almost from birth until he was approximately 1 year old.  I was very unhappy
with this, but agreed to it.  He was exclusively breastfed and now, at four
years old, has never had a single infection of any kind.

When he was one year old, as we were walking our of our last appointment
with the pediatric nephrologist, he said in an off-handed way, "You know,
we're starting to think that we're overtreating this."  Every doctor we saw
said that the rate of diagnosis has gone way up in recent years due to better
ultrasound technology.

Last year our pediatrician sent us a study published in Pediatrics
entitled, "Clinical Significance of Primary Vesicoureteral Reflux and Urinary
Antibiotic Prophylaxis After Acute Pyelonephritis:  A Multicenter, Randomized,
Controlled Study."  This study concluded that, for children with mild to
moderate kidney reflux, who had already experienced acute
pyleonephritis, "Our data indicate that urinary antibiotic prophylaxis among
patients with grade I to grade III VUR does not decrease the overall incidence
of recurrent UTI, the rate of pyelonephritis, or the formation of renal scars.
Among our patients, prophylaxis increased the chance of developing
pyelonephritis."  A link to the article is below.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/117/3/626
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/117/3/919

Tanya Lieberman, IBCLC
http://breastfeeding.blog.motherwear.com