From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:45:57 +1000
Good morning, fellow Lactnetters

Recently I ordered new business cards - and when making a decision on what
to put on the back, I baulked at "breastfeeding management".  Is this what
we really do, implying more control by the professional and a very
structured approach?  Or do we work with the mother and baby, listening and
observing and building on what they are doing right, to help them overcome
challenges?  If the mother and baby get a comfortable feed with good milk
transfer in a non-standard position, do we remember to support her with
that, making sure there is no arm strain, instead of enforcing a standard
hold?  And so on.  This means using high-level skills, but less directively.
I think this is what a lot of Lactnetters do, without thinking about the
semantics.

I guess what triggered my reflecting on semantics on this was my old LLL
background, and then years as an ABA counsellor before the IBCLC credential
became available.  Add to that, my recent counselling studies.

The descriptor I've chosen for one of the services I offer professions is
"workshops on breastfeeding care".  I like "care" a whole lot better than
"management".  From now on I'm going to use this descriptor.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]