From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:09:19 +0100
Linda F. Palmer refers to the enteromammary axis, I assume in response to
the query about references for the transfer of antigens FROM baby TO mother
via baby's saliva at mother's nipple.

Only, the enteromammary axis is what is responsible for getting maternal
antibodies produced in response to antigens in the mother's gut transported
to the breast so they will be secreted in milk.  If I remember correctly
there is a similar mechanism for antibodies to antigens in the maternal
respiratory tract to get into her milk.

Like the person who posted the query, I have not seen any research to
suggest that antigens from the baby's oral cavity enter the maternal gut
primarily by way of the maternal nipple.  Neither anatomy nor physiology
support this idea; it seems more likely that the close contact between
mother and baby which is necessary in order to breastfeed, ensures that
whatever the baby is exposed to will be available to the mother's
respiratory and digestive tracts.

There are about a thousand other reasons to feed babies at the breast rather
than express milk and feed it by other means.  When those means are not
possible, whether because of outright inability to feed at breast or
mother's choice, then expressed milk from the baby's own mother is
incontrovertibly the next best option.  People who are not satisfied that
breastfeeding is the normal way to nourish a human baby in the face of all
those reasons will probably not be convinced by one more minuscule piece of
information, even if we can find specific research to support it.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway