From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 10:17:51 -0700
Hi,

For those of you who work in NICUs, I have a question. Today at our SCN
rounds I informed our neonatologist that a mother with a 33 week fragile
baby has mastitis, and is taking Dicloxacillin. He immediately said that
she has to pump and dump until 48 hours after her last dose of the
medication (i.e. 12 whole days!!). When I questioned this, he told me
that the maternal use of this medication will "tear up the baby's gut",
and cause diahrreah.

I have definitely never heard of this before, but I know I have run
into one other physician who had a mother pump and dump while on an
antibiotic because her premature baby's motility was slowing down.

Most of my experience is with full term babies who nurse happily while
their mother's take medication with no ill effects. But do you find this
to be different with the preemie? Hale says that there are no pediatric
concerns with this drug, and labels it an L1. I just feel so badly for
this mom, because she REALLY wants her baby to get the breastmilk.

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC