From:
Traci Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:16:08 PST
I've been reading with great interest the comments about the profession of
lactation consultancy. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that waht
makes the difference is the passion that is present in "non-medical" LC's.
Someone stated earlier that we (most of us) don't go into this field until
we've children and usually had a nursing relationship.

I'm not against the IBLCE raising the bar when needed. The exam today is
very different from the the one I will take this summer. If there's not a
gaol to attain, it's not appreciated as much.

Back to the origional topic, though. Even though there are LC's that are in
this profession due to job requirements, (nurses, etc), the great majority
are those that are passionate about one more baby breastfeeding and one more
mom being empowered in her role. If it were only a volunteer job, I would
still do it. (But, my goals are a bit loftier than that). Our passion
empowers us, and that passion can take us far as a profession. It's what
gives us the wear-with-all to make something of ourselves and keep reaching
for the bar.

Traci Mills, LLL Leader, future IBCLC