From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 14:26:47 -0700
I watched this show.  The brief, taped introduction to the couple mentioned
breastfeeding, but breastfeeding was not discussed at all during the "live"
part of the show.  The baby was 10 months old.

I did not get the same impression of the show that so many others on Lactnet
did.  It was not about breastfeeding.  They discussed the relationship of
the married adults.  The woman (wife) said now that she was a mother, she
did not think it was appropriate for her to do some things/act some ways
that she did before.  This was not explored  in the conversation, either.

The man (husband) asked that she spend some time and attention on him; even
just coming to meet him at the door when he came home would help.  He was
not asking for a lot.

There was probably some background that was discussed and available to the
psychologist that the audience was not privy to.

The psychologist made the point that the most valuable thing you can give
your children is to grow-up in a family where the mother and father truly
love and care for each other.  Can't argue with that!

Please do not send-off letters of commentary if you did not see the show and
were unable to form your own opinion.  That is how we get the label of
breastfeeding fanatics.  The show was not about breastfeeding, so taking
them to task for maligning the breastfeeding relationship is not
appropriate, especially if we ever hope to get them to cover the topic of
breastfeeding favorably....;-)

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York