From:
Erin Adam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:55:16 EDT
Jennie wrote:

"Question-would the great decrease allow the body to wipe out the yeast on
it's own?
Or could she be getting into a potentially harmful situation here? Any
thoughts?"

I have heard of many symptoms in the body due to too much yeast... it is
incredible what yeast can actually do; so, no, I personally do not think
that the yeast would subside on it's own.  I had strep last summer that
lasted 11 weeks... after waiting 2 weeks to see if I could shake it on my
own with my own methods, I saw my doc who did a cultre and prescribed abx.
The thing returned two more times... with 2 more strong abxs prescribed to
kill it.  Did I do the right thing?  I do not know... but I was sick, had
lost my voice, and had a 1 yr old nursling and a 5 yr old to tend to, so
mommy being sick was not good.

Anyhow, here is a wonderful shpiel on yeast that I "stole" from somewhere...
and when my son DID have thrush at 2 months, we DID clear it up with the
Gentian violet). I do believe for the most part these alternatives to abxs
DO work:

Candida albicans is normally present in our bodies, but certain
circumstances (such as stress, a weakened immune system or use of
antibiotics) may cause it to reproduce wildly and colonize the vagina,
intestines, diaper area, throat, mouth, nipples and/or skin folds of the
host.  Yeast thrives in dark, moist places. Exposure to fresh air and
sunlight is one of nature's best cures. Outdoors and naked for hours is most
effective but even 10 minutes of sunlight through a window will work. Go
braless as often as possible. Keep baby's bum dry; let baby go diaperless as
much as possible, eliminate rubber pants; use 100% wool or cotton covers
(but limit time in them to when wet clothes would be unacceptable); change
diapers promptly. Breast shells (for inverted or sore nipples) may
contribute to yeast overgrowth - stop using them or, if you must wear them,
make sure to boil them ever day to kill the yeast. Use excellent hygiene.
Wash you hands after you change baby's diapers, touch your nipples, or touch
the baby's mouth. This will prevent the thrush from spreading. Use towels,
bras and breast pads only once, wash in HOT water, and use 1/4 cup vinegar
in the rinse water (for all your laundry) to help kill yeast - weather
permitting hang them in the sun to dry (the sunlight kills yeast); same
thing for diapers. Avoid dairy (except yogurt), sugar and yeast containing
foods and supplements like the plague. Stay away from highly processed
foods, baked goods, heavy starches, wheat, sugars, honey, fruit and fruit
juices. Eat organic grown, fresh vegetables, meats, beans and whole grains
while you are treating the infection. And, as always, drink plenty of
distilled water to keep up your milk supply (a good guide is 1/2 oz/lb of
body weight, more if you are very active). ORAL & NIPPLE THRUSH: yogurt,
homemade is best, but acidophilus yogurt is a close second. Eat it; coat the
inside of your baby's mouth with it after each feeding - dip a clean finger
in the yogurt and let the babe suck it off (wash your finger afterwards) or
smear the yeast patches with yogurt on a cotton swab (do not double dip, you
will contaminate the yogurt - throw it away after 1 application!); freeze
small cubes of yogurt & let baby mouth them; smear it on your nipples (rinse
off before nursing). Take special care not to contaminate your yogurt with
thrush! Dissolve a level teaspoon of baking soda in 8 oz of water. Use a
fresh cotton swab to wipe the insides of your baby's cheeks, gums, and
tongue after every nursing; bathe your nipples after every nursing too. Make
fresh solution every day. Some health care providers worry about the baby
ingesting too much salt - to be safe, rinse nipples with pure water before
next feeding. large quantities of vitamin C (1 gram every 2 hours for a week
or longer if immune system is very weak) is said to discourage the growth of
yeast. Rinse nipples with an organic, raw apple cider vinegar solution made
from 1 tablespoon vinegar in 8 oz of water (may sting if thrush is severe).
Gentian Violet solution, 1% "paint" on nipples 1 or 2 times daily up to
three days (will stain everything purple, very messy!). Lactobacillus
acidophilus and/or Lactobacillus bifidus supplements (look for them in the
coolers, they need to be refrigerated to maintain potency). Infants and
toddlers should be given bifidus rather than acidophilus, there are many
bifidus supplements made just for kids. Caprylic acid, take according to
directions. Grapefruit seed extract is supposed to be good for stubborn
cases. Black Walnut (tincture), painted in baby's mouth and on mom's nipples
2-3 times a day. In stubborn cases mom can also take the tincture
internally, 10 to 15 drops 2-3 times a day. Be careful near clothing, it
stains! Pau d'Arco tea (made from a South American tree that resists fungus
growth). Garlic, garlic, garlic! Use fresh garlic in your cooking or take a
garlic supplement (unsolicited product endorsement: Try Kwai brand,
orderless - extra potent).

Erin
Burlington, ON
Mom to Mitchell 6yo, weaned at 46 months
and nursling Joshua 24 months