From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:21:26 -0500
This is the response that my colleague sent to the nutrition student who
assessed her 6 1/2 month old breastfed baby as being undernourished.
--------------------

Since I had a scheduled appointment at the pediatrician's office, I
asked that they check Spencer's hemoglobin level.  It is 13.0.
Spencer is now seven months old, and still is exclusively breastfed.
He takes no vitamin nor mineral supplements.  It appears that he
apparently does not need any iron supplementation. Here is my response to
the nutrition student's assessment of my baby's growth and nutritional status.

     October 30, 1997
Dear xxx

 Thank you for forwarding your report on the nutritional assessment of
 my son, Spencer Koeller.  As a mother, I am, of course, interested in
 the findings.  As a certified Childbirth Educator, an accredited La
 Leche League Leader, and the Conference Coordinator of the Vermont
 Lactation Consultant Association, I am interested in educating both
 parents and professionals who are involved with pregnant and
 breastfeeding mothers.  I feel it is important that I write to you so
 that you may gain a better understanding about the benefits of
 breastfeeding.  I hope you will pass this knowledge on to others in
 your class and when you are working in the field.

 Your analysis stated that Spencer is lacking in his Recommended Daily
Allowance for four categories: total calories, calcium, iron, and
 zinc.

 I found information in your report to be inaccurate when applied to
 an exclusively breastfed baby.  I believe that much of the
 information you relied on to assess Spencer's growth is based on
 studies and findings of babies who are primarily fed artificial baby
milk (formula).  The belief that breastmilk and artificial baby milk
 are essentially the same is simply not true.  This is often an
 underlying assumption in many studies regarding infant feeding and
 nutrition.

 The resources I use for information on breastfeeding are primarily
 The Breastfeeding Answer Book, revised edition (1997) by La Leche
 League International, and Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by Jan
 Riordan and Kathleen G. Auerbach.  These are both highly respected
and well used resources in the field of lactation.  Another good
source is Breastfeeding:Biocultural Perspectives, edited by Patricia
 Stuart-Macadam and Katherine A. Dettwyler.

 I found the following information on growth in the Breastfeeding
Answer Book (Pages 114-115)

  Typical weight gain for the first 3 to 4 months is 4 to 8 ounces
  (113 to 227 grams) per week -- doubling birth weight by 5 to 6
  months.  Weight gain should always be figured from the lowest point
  rather than from birth weight.

The very rapid growth a baby experiences during the first 3 months
 typically slows down during months 4 to 12.  According to recent
 research (Cohen 1995: Dewey 1992a), an average weight gain for a
 breastfeeding baby 4 to 6 months is about 3 to 5 ounces (85 to 142
 grams) per week.  An average weight gain for the breastfeeding baby
6 to 12 months is 1 ½ to 3 ounces (42 to 85 grams) per week.  Growth
  in length averages about one-half inch (1.27 cm) per month and
  growth in head circumference is about one-quarter inch (64 mm) per
  month.  At one year, the typical breastfed baby weighs about 2 ½
 times his birth weight, has increased his birth length by 50%, and
 his head circumference by 33%.
  More recent studies comparing exclusively breastfed and exclusively
 formula-fed infants found growth in length and head circumference to
 be about the same in both groups but found significant difference in
  energy consumption and weight gain after 3 months of age.  From the
 fourth month to the twelfth month the breastfed babies gained more
 slowly, even after solids were started, and at one year the
 breastfed babies were leaner than the artificially fed babies.  The
 amount of milk consumed during this period by the breastfed babies
 was also about 20% less than that consumed by the artificially fed
  babies.  Yet the breastfed babies were healthy, active, and
  thriving.  The authors concluded that current growth charts do not
  accurately reflect the norm for breastfed babies and that new growth
  charts are needed.  (My emphasis)

 Based on this research, Spencer is within normal limits.  He weighed
 8 pounds on March 23, the day after his birth (the lowest recorded
weight), and he weighed 17 pounds at six months (9/26/97).  He has
 doubled his weight within six months.  Spencer's growth in length and
 head circumference is also within normal limits based on the above
 information.

Regarding the caloric  intake of exclusively breastfed babies,
 Riordan and Auerbach write:

>> >  Energy intakes of breastfed infants beyond the first month are well
>> >  below the official Committee on Dietary Allowances (1980) and
>> >  WHO/FAO (1980) recommendations.
>> >
>> >  ...Stuff and Nichols (1989) found that energy intake of infants fed
>> >  human milk was about 20% below recommended levels.  Caloric content
>> >  did not increase after solid food were added to the diet.
>> >
>> >  Garza, Stuff, and Butte (1986) found that energy intakes of
>> >  breastfed infants remained approximately 70 - 75 kcal/kg from the
>> >  third month on.  Energy requirements have been overestimated for
>> >  breastfed infants because they have been based on volumes of formula
>> >  required by artificially fed infants.
>> >
>> >  The energy intakes of breastfed and formula-fed infants differ
>> >  significantly.  Total daily energy expenditure, minimal rates of
>> >  energy expenditure, metabolic rates during sleep, rectal
>> >  temperature, and heart rates are all found to be lower in breastfed
>> >  infants. ... Another possibility is that the energy density of milk
>> >  taken by a four month-old is higher on the average than that taken
>> >  by the same baby three months earlier.  The four-month-old baby's
>> >  suckle is more active, leading to a higher fat intake with lower
>> >  volumes needed -- i.e., breastmilk is more completely utilized with
>> >  less wastage.  (Pages 106-107)
>> >
>> > Fat content of milk is another variable to consider.  The
>> > Breastfeeding Answer Book states:
>> >
>> >  One study found that the fat content of milk varies among mothers
>> >  and that babies whose mothers had lower-fat milk tended to nurse
>> >  longer at feedings and take a greater percentage of the milk in the
>> >  breast.  Both groups of babies gained weight within the normal
>> >  ranges... (Page 26)
>> >
>> > In Biocultural Perspectives, Michael Woolridge, studied the adaptive
>> > nature of the infant to self-regulate their intake of breastmilk.  He
>> > found that baby-controlled feeding, or "demand" feeding pattern is
>> > best for the baby.
>> >
>> > He also found a variation in milk fat based on frequency of feeds.
>> >
>> >  So ultimately, we must consider the factors that predict the mean
>> >  feed milk fat concentration, as it is these that tell us whether
>> >  milk quality is open to manipulation by changes in feeding practice.
>> >
>> >  The factor that shows the highest association is the time elapsed
>> >  since the previous feed and this shows an inverse relationship to
>> >  mean feed fat concentration --the greater the interval the lower the
>> >  average fat content.  Thus, the more frequent the feeds, the higher
>> >  the fat content. (Page 227)
>> >
>> > As I told you during our conversation and in our e-mail
>> > communication, Spencer as ready access to me 24 hours a day and I
>> > nurse him as often as he wants.  Spencer trusts that I will nurse him
>> > when he wants, and I trust that he will take what he needs to sustain
>> > growth.
>> >
>> > I can ascertain that Spencer is receiving an adequate amount of milk
>> > by knowing that we have established a good latch and suck in the
> [...]
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html
LACTNET WWW http://www.telcomplus.net/~kga/lactation.html