Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:59:56 -0300

> Hello,  I have a to ask a favor to ask of you.  I have been asked if I have
> an article about the meaning of breastfeeding to mothers and how good, bad
> or indifferent breastfeeding support effects the breastfeeding experience.
> I am having some difficulty coming up with something.  Do you have any
> suggestions?
>
> I am particularly brain fogged this morning and could not figure out if I
> should use the word effect or affect in the above paragraph.
As a noun, effect means a result, consequence, or outcome, but as a
verb, it means "to cause to come into being", "to bring about" or "to
put into effect". For instance, you can effect a change.
As a noun, affect means feeling, and is usually used in clinical
contexts. As a verb, however, it is very broad: "to have an effect
upon", "to produce a material influence upon", "to produce an alteration
in", "to act upon" etc. So this meaning fits your sentence. However, you
can also use it to mean "put on a pretense of", to "make a display of"
or "put on airs".
So support can "affect" breastfeeding or "have an effect on"
breastfeeding -- how confusing is that???

As for the content rather than the grammar, there are good articles on
support. Many consider one type of support in particular, such as
Cindy-Lee Dennis's work on peer support or the Global Initiative for
Mother Support (www.waba.org.my/gims/index.html)

Health System Factors Contributing to Breastfeeding Success
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/104/3/e28

Pediatrics. 2006 Aug;118(2):e309-14.
A mother's feelings for her infant are strengthened by excellent
breastfeeding counseling and continuity of care.
Ekström A, Nissen E.

Soc Sci Med. 2006 Jan;62(1):70-80. Epub 2005 Jul 1.
Trustful bonds: a key to "becoming a mother" and to reciprocal
breastfeeding. Stories of mothers of very preterm infants at a neonatal
unit.
Flacking R, Ewald U, Nyqvist KH, Starrin B.

Hope this helps!
Jo-Anne (who is on sabbatical from grammar teaching next year!)