Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:04:25 EDT
I conducted  4 inservices today at work. It was the third in a series of 4.
This one was Breastfeeding Case Histories. I wrote up 3 case histories and we
reviewed those as a group and discussed what problems or potential problems
they saw, what additional information was needed, and then we listed
suggestions and  interventions. It was interactive. The staff really seemed
to enjoy it. We had 34 attend. I was asked then to repeat the series for the
Pediatrics Outpatient clinic staff. I began the talk with the Steps for a
Successful Breastfeeding Start. ( Actually it was the 10 steps simplified).
When I got to the part about not giving formula samples, I saw lots of light
bulbs going off in people's heads. There was some discussion and at one point
someone asked why we give those out. As we werre going through the case
histories I asked them to review the Steps and see if not following those is
what had lead to problems developing with breastfeeding. Also to see how
following the Steps would help avoid problems.
The last inservice  that I taught was on Alternative Feeding Devices. I am
seeing the staff starting to  try to help with breastfeeding problems without
immediately paging the Lactation Consultant. Which is a big step--at last
they are thinking and using the information they are getting.
My only problem is that I scheduled these 4 inservices in the same week as
the conference with Linda Smith at which I am alsodoing 2 presentations. This
day has been a 19 hr day so far and I could really use about 48 more hrs in
this day!
P.S. Thanks for the Linda stories!

P.P.S. For those  of you who shared Nipple Shield Policies with me, we have
gotten ours updated and finalized and I will send those out to those who
requested it.

Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC