From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 22:16:15 -0500
I have learned to trust only my own eyes re: latch.. cannot count the number of times a woman has said "I was told the latch is great" only to find that the major cause of problems or even the only problem was the latch all along..  and sometimes, as is the case with someone I worked with recently, what would be a fine latch for some babies or even most babies, is just not good enough for the marginal ones... be it due to tt or lip tie or a recessed chin or mother's anatomy.. but they need an excellent latch and diligence with every feeding until everyone "gets" it.

Might also be helpful for mom to have a good understanding of how breasts make milk.  I have been suggesting to moms to read over the milk production overview on lowmilksupply.org or kellymom.com so it they are clear on the impact of milk removal (or lack of) on milk production. This takes the mystery out of it and can make the effort to increase supply seem more doable.

It is definitely difficult to help someone thoroughly without an opportunity to see for oneself. Love skype!

Celina D, LLLL, IBCLC