From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:18:27 -0500
Norma Ritter [mailto:[log in to unmask]] wrote:  "But then I
read:  Babies and children will not be admitted to the teaching room (except
for quietly nursing babies under three months of age)."

Norma, I do not know if this is the same conference that I have boycotted
for years because of the same stipulation.  The organizer is on LACTNET and
will recognize this problem.  The first time she started this policy, many
years ago, I wrote her a letter regarding my frustration (your words almost
verbatim).  The conference sessions were excellent, as were the speakers.
Even though I was well past my childbearing years, I objected to that
regulation; it was not for myself but for all the other women who wanted to
attend but had young children over 3 months of age.  For Pete's sake, that
doesn't allow for hardly any women with children to attend; many new moms
with a one or two month old probably would find it difficult to get to the
conference.

I recently read a post that Australia, for the most part, is hostile to
children; I don't know how true that is.  However, I find that many in the
USA are hostile to children; they would rather not see them or hear them.
Bill Cosby, a comedian in our country, once said (and I am paraphrasing):
Many in the USA don't want children around until they can be proud of them
as adults.  How do children feel when they are treated that way?

My ILCA affiliate is planning a conference for this spring.  We are
encouraging moms with young quiet children to be in the sessions; we have
not discussed a pumping room.  Norma, thanks for the reminder; I will bring
that up at our next conference committee meeting.

Warm regards,

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC

Westchester County in NYS, USA

"Children Are Born with the Right to Breastfeed"