From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:16:12 GMT
Dr. Dean Edell, a USA radio doctor and website host of healthcentral.com
responded to a Q&A from a working mom who is noticing a decreased milk
supply (in his dr.dean digest):

<<Why don't I have enough milk?
Dr. Dean: A doctor is the last person with answers to breastfeeding
questions. We get no training about it. What I learned on the subject, I
learned after medical school. One thing I do know is that most often a
decreased supply of breast milk is caused by infrequent feeding. But the
most important thing I know is that real experts -- called lactation
consultants -- are the ones who have answers to breastfeeding problems.  My
advice is that you call a lactation consultation or La Leche League, a
nonprofit organization dedicated to breastfeeding education. La Leche League
has a Web site at www.lalecheleague.org. An expert will talk to you about
your breast pumping routine to help you continue to successfully nurse your
baby. This support will help you now that you're working and don't have the
freedom to pump whenever you need to. >>

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA