Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:40:16 EDT
I had a mother of a full term infant on Tegretol last week. Brief history,
baby was delivered rather precipitously, mom just making it to LDR. Mom and
baby brought to post partum. Baby became lethargic, temp low and blood sugar
13. Mom had no medication with the delivery. Baby brought to NICU where IV
glucose was administered, baby under warmer, antibiotics started. Mom began
pumping right away, baby was put to breast as able and actually did well at
the breast. Baby was taken off IV and was to be transferred back up with mom
when the temperature became unstable again and baby stayed in NICU for
further observation. Mom conitnued to pump and feed baby at breast when she
was there. Baby finally stabilized and was to be sent home. I had been asked
about the Tegretol, checked Hale and gave them the info. Prior to discharge
the baby had labs drawn (not sure why) and her liver function tests were
extremely high as was her bilirubin. Mom was told that this was due to the
Tegretol and she was told to stop breastfeeding for a week and have the labs
redrawn. I was not there for that discussion. Mom was to pump and see how the
labs were. One week later the labs were within normal limits. Mom had decided
not to pump and to bottle feed. My feeling that was that there was something
else going on with this baby, that it was not the Tegretol. Any thoughts on
this, do you think the Tegretol was the culprit? I am afraid that we are
missing something given the baby's history while blaming the mother's
medication.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Lisa Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA