From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:04:26 -0400
Hear Hear Christine!

This is seen so often all over.. nipple shields are pulled out at hour 12 because baby is not latching but those that rely on the "easiness" of offering the shield do not try to figure out WHY baby is not latching.. so often it is due to tongue tie or lip tie, or birth trauma or torticollis.. so many reasons babies have trouble latching. Then these moms go home with a baby with issues, under the impression that the nipple shield is necessary.. still have the original issue and now baby won't breastfeed without the darn thing..

Using a tool without a proper assessment is never good medicine IMHO - even out in the field, as an EMT, we did an assessment before ANY intervention having only minutes to figure out what was going on, let alone 12 hours or 2 or 3 days, and then decide what to do about it. No point in putting in an airway adjunct if the patient has a tofu dog stuck in said airway...

Education, Education, Education.. its the only way to change things.

(sigh.. pet peeve of mine..)

My daughter, who worked in Lab/Del at a Baby Friendly Hospital for a couple of years, never saw one - I was happy to hear it :>)

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL