From:
Lori Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:57:15 -0400
Years ago (1989 or so), my supervisor hired a male student intern (student
interns were RN students who functioned mostly as aides...scrubbed for
deliveries, assisted new moms with personal cares and took care of healthy
newborns, including giving breastfeeding help). We were all VERY nervous
and wondered WHAT THE HECK WAS SHE THINKING!!!!!

Mike was one of the kindest people I have ever met.  He was a smart guy,
who was on his way to becomming a wonderful nurse.  The staff quickly was
won over.
And the new mothers? THEY LOVED HIM! He was constnatly geeting thank you
cards and trinkets of appreciation (pictures of the baby etc.)

No chaperone was present for personal cares or breastfeeding help.  He was
very matter of fact with the moms and I think that helped.  He also always
asked for permission to touch them, if touching was necessary.

He was, by the way, a wonderful breastfeeding helper!

Lori Peters RN/IBCLC
Kenosha WI