From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 07:20:04 -0700
Sue, I am not going on anything medical here, but I really feel for this
lady!  I really have to question the advice she has recieved to wear a tight
sport's bra.  I have learned, from circulation problems, that speeding up
blood flow to an area speeds healing, and that cutting off the circulation
promotes a generally unhealthy state, where any kind of wound is more likely
to become infected.  I would have her get a bra that will support from
outside the breast tissue, and be a little bit loose on the actual breast
tissue.  Then, I would have her take some soft, fluffy, fabric (like several
layers from a cloth diaper)  put it over her nipples, held there loosely by
the bra cups.  This would help prevent any tactile stimulation of her
nipples, which would cause the  tissue to contract. If she is small
breasted, however, she might be more comfortable braless.  I would also have
her try to find a sleeping position that was comfortable, even if she has to
get creative to find one.

I would keep ice away from the nipples, but use it on painful areas, as she
can without discomfort.
Two other things I would consider are ultrasound and massage (which would
have to be done very carefully, by someone who knew what they were doing).
If there is a multidisciplinary group nearby, with MD, physical therapist,
massage therapist, maybe herbalist, etc., that  might be a good way to find
a solution.  I sure hope she will find something that helps, and soon!

Aloha,
Darillyn

"I'm actually going to have my prolactin level taken tomorrow.  If all =
is well, my gyne just advised me to do all
that I could to cease my breasts from ever producing milk.  She told me =
take 1000 mg of Vitamin E per day, wear the tightest sports bra ever, =
ice my
nipples, avoid caffeine, and, basically, avoid all nipple stimulation.
That's what I have to go on right now... not very promising.  :-)  =
Thanks
again though.  Oh, she did say that there would be no point in my seeing =
an
endocrinologist if my prolactin profile is normal.  Does that sound =
right?"