From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:30:10 -0600
Could this baby have a posterior tongue-tie, and mom have rather long
nipples?  I have seen this happen where the tip of the nipple is
compressed and a crack is opened on the end of the nipple.  The baby is
compressing the tip of the nipple and narrowing the gape perhaps to
control the force of milk spray with let-down.  You could try having her
latch the baby on, then immediately lying back with the baby lying on
top of her.  She should allow the baby's head to follow her breast as
she lies back.  I have found this technique EXTREMELY helpful for moms
who have reynaud's-like symptoms also.  The baby relaxes the jaw, brings
the tongue forward and down and the pain and/or nipple compression goes
away. First time I tried this with a mom, I helped her do this.  We
called it "turtling": flipping her on her back like a turtle on his
shell!  Made her laugh and it worked beautifully!