From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:35:30 -0600
Betsy,
You must work with a different class of people than many I have worked with.  Some staff would get all excited when the salesman would come looking forward to their "gifts".  They would think nothing of sporting badge clips or pens with the formula name blazoned on it for all (especially patients) to see.  This certainly gives the impression of endorsement of the product.  Most importantly, they wouldn't spend money on all hte "freebies" if it didn't improve their "bottom line" (and I don;t mean diapers)!
The problem is that the response isn't overt as in, "Oh, he (she) gave this wonderful gift, so I need to push thier product."  Rather it is subtle, usually not even recognised by the person who responds more positively to the "giftgiver" than one who gives no gift or a lesser one.  The warm fuzzy feeling does pay off in more positive attitudes to the one who created the warm fuzzy feeling.

Winnie