From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 00:08:53 +0100
Joyce,  I'm facing that very same dilemma...in Spanish.  A center that does
childbirth preparation is ready to enroll me as their breastfeeding expert
and as such I'll be in charge of teaching the basics to future parents.  It
seems that the handout they have is a direct translation of the one you
cited in Lactnet.

I really liked Ruth Lawrence's, introductory paragraph (page 227 of the 5th.
edition): "Disadvantages to breastfeeding are those factors perceived by the
mother as an incovenience to her, because no known disadvantages exist for
the normal infant".  She goes on to say that "the mother's commitment to the
infant for 6 to 12 feedings a day for months may be overwhelming to a woman
who has been free and independent.  Motherhood iteself changes a woman's
lifestyle."

Let's hope that the rest of lacnetter come up with some other alternatives.
The hard truth is that breastfeeding does ties you down.....to the baby.
Some of us really enjoy our little ones and live in circumstances where we
can continue with a more or less normal life, but women in big cities have a
tought time.  Some places are really Baby Unfriendly and I can understand
why many women would rather leave the baby home with a loving father or
grandmother, before facing such hostile environments.

Lavinia Belli, LLL, IBCLC
in Madrid, and loving it, despite the fact that it is one of those hostile
environments!!