From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:44:24 -0800
I just wanted to add on this topic because it keeps reminding of a newspaper
article I read a while back ago (something called doctor files I think in
the LA times).  The article really pointed out how even when hcp's have the
idea that Betsy does of

 " I really don't think most of them even think about
these things giving patients the wrong idea, nor do I think any of them
would ever imagine that they were "marketing" formula for the company.
Personally, I juts don't think that this is an importanr issue to any of my
colleagues."

ïsnt' true.  The story was that this doctor let the drug reps come into his
office with their free samples, "gifts", food, etc. and it wasn't in any way
influencing his decisions on what to prescribe - he was a professional and
they didn't hang around long enough to change his mind.  A few months later
a new drug this rep had been talking about was being pulled from the market
and any patients on this drug would need to be contacted.  This doctor was
sure if any of his patients were on this new, and now known to be
ineffective, drug it would only a couple - because he was never influenced
by the company reps.  He was shocked at how many of his patients were on
this drug - as the stack of patients to call grew larger and larger he
realized he had been influenced - no matter how much he told himself the
gifts, food and such would never change his practice.  After that he banned
all reps from his office and really wanted others to know that telling
yourself and others that these reps have no influence on you or patient care
wasn't true.

Felicia Henry, IBCLC, BCCE