From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 21:33:01 -0400
Hi All,

I am preparing a presentation both for our LC and maternity staff on the
NOMAS (Neonatal Oral Motor Assessment Scale) tool. Does anyone have
experience with the validity aspect of this scale in the first few days
after birth. I spoke with Marjorie Meyer Palmer, the developer of the tool
and she stated that it is 100% reliable in the neonatal period, but did not
give me a clear answer on the first few days of life.

The scale evaluates both jaw and tongue action in neonates and rates sucking
as normal, disorganized or dysfunctional. We all see babies who cannot get
it together in the hospital and it may range from drugged babies, prolonged
pushing, may I say epidurals!!!!, meconium at birth or excessive mucous the
first day or missed feeding cues due to separation of mother and baby.  And
this is leaving maternal anatomy out of the equation as NOMAS evaluates only
the feeder not the "vessel".

She states that 50% of babies that are rated by a skilled NOMAS certified
evaluator to be disorganized with sucking and 100% of babies that are
dysfunctonal with sucking are found to be developmentally delayed by 36
months of age.

This is quite concerning because according to her protocol, quite a few
babies that I see in the newborn period are clearly not just disorganized,
but show distinct dysfunctional sucking patterns.
I am not fully certified in evaluating babies by the NOMAS , but have been
working with babies at the breast for 17 years now and sure see more and
more babies with an inability to breastfeed well. She did comment that I was
not the first LC to bring this to her attention and that perhaps epidurals
play a part!

Anyone know of specific research using this tool during the first 2 weeks of
life in a newborn setting (not NICU) and following these babies for the
duration related to developmental outcomes?
So many times these moms end up pumping and bottling, or not breastfeeding
at all so we lose contact. This would be an interesting research project
IMHO.

LuAnn Smith RN, BSN, IBCLC
York, Pa
On a perfect late spring almost summer day!