From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 12:55:59 EDT
Susan wrote:
"Given that there are some concerns about whether or not there is a
 connection between mercury and autism, it seems to me that there are safer
 alternatives to cod's liver oil,<snip> If the
 improvement seen in these children is connected to DHA (which is again only
 a conjecture - not at all proven as yet), the Brain Food report also
 provides safer alternatives."

Susan,
I posted about this just as another bit of flotsam in the information jet stream. I do no have enough info to go beyond that. But, I do know that the Center for Functional Medicine has done a lot of research connecting gut integrity to brain function and much of it relates to EFA's in the diet. And, since AIM has no DHA and Americans and other Westerners have been shown to be deficient in DHA, I have to also suspect a conncetion there. Much as I believe in the absolute sueriority of human milk, I think it does us no service to avoid addressing this issue. We have far, far less DHA in our milk than, say Malaysian mothers. Shouldn't we be concerned? Shouldn't we wonder about autism? I don't believe autism is a one-factor disorder, but this has to matter.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA