From:
Ines Anchondo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:11:10 -0500
Here is a nursing saga that I am confident will interest you. This message was
sent to me by the grandmother to a newborn.  Baby C was born last week on
10/27. She nursed immediately in the delivery room and about every hour or
two for the first two days, so it seemed she was going to be a good nurser.
Once mother's milk came in, baby ate every 3 to 4 hours. However, timing her
eating became a real trick. She gave off hunger signs and was fussy, but
when mothers put her to the breast, she got upset and simply won't eat. At
times, she even latched on and got off again and cried.  We soothed her and
for a couple of feedings I gave her my little finger to get her suck going, and
that seemed to help. However, once she got a good strong suck going, that
didn't necessarily solve the problem. This would go on for 20 or 30 minutes!
But once she got ready, after all of the commotion, she got on the nipple,
seemingly easily, had a good feeding, and came off with a blissed-out look and
milk gushing out of her mouth. Go figure.

So working hypotheses numbers 25 and 26 were that she gives off false
hunger signs and that she simply will not eat until she experiences hunger, all
appearances to the contrary.  The thing to do about it is to offer her the
nipple and than take her away if she doesn't accept the offer, hold and
soothe her, then when she starts to nuzzle, offer it again. We tussled with
several feedings like that Thursday and Friday, and it was a tussle. We had to
keep reassuring ourselves that at the end of it she would eat. But oh my!

Then Friday night everything seemingly changed. Apparently by magic, baby
C. figured it out, and she woke up, easily went on the nipple, nursed well, got
off and went back to sleep. That pattern continued yesterday, but since two
nights ago she has been up to her old tricks again. That is the sort of thing
that makes people give up breastfeeding and make the "real" breastfeeding
consultants turn to all sorts of excruciating solutions such as breast shields,
breast pumps (we did try pumping and it didn't seem to help)  and
supplemental nursers to figure it out. For now what it all is apparently coming
down to is steady nerves and a leap of faith. Baby C. shows all sorts of
nursing capability, but for some reason--getting her sleep states mixed up,
newborn disorganization, who knows--she can't get it together.  She gained a
couple of ounces at her pediatricians appointment yesterday, so she is getting
enough to eat. She has plenty of pees and poops.

So working hypothesis number 27 is that she is suffering from a bit of reflux.
She can't seem to stay prone--back or tummy, although tummy is better--to
sleep for longer than an hour. She fusses and stirs around, then when you
pick her up and hold her upright, she settles down and continues sleeping. So
today they will put her down to sleep tilted up, and see what happens.

Any ideas you might have to help this baby please respond directly to me