From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 08:14:40 EDT
 <3 month old boy.  Nsg every 2 hours, mom rented scale and is
<doing her own test wts.  Inf getting 4 oz pretty consistently; pumping after
<mom gets =<1/2oz.  Gaining well.  Here's the rub.  Fussy fussy fussy,
<spitty spitty spitty.  Doesn't sleep well, very restless.

Doesn't this sound like oversupply to you?  Given the knowledge that the
average bf baby takes just over one ounce per hour, it jumps out at me that
this kid is getting almost double that amount.

The first thing I'd find out is whether "every two hours" means "every two
hours around the clock."  I have to confess it's a personal pet peeve of
mine...this way of describing a feeding pattern by the interval between the
feeds.  I would ask "How many times a day (and night) does the baby nurse?"
or "Describe a typical day with your baby, especially the nursings."  And of
course you want to know whether feeds are one breast or two or more.  (This
relates to the recent thread of "how do we define a 'feed' ?")

The suggestion to "wear" the baby sounds fine to me, but I'd also look at
ways to cut down the volume of feeds.

Chris Mulford
WIC LC and WABA Women & Work Task Force
Swarthmore  PA (Eastern USA)