From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:50:33 EST
this morning i was privileged to help a mother breastfeed the biological child
of her husband and herself, born to a surrogate mother. a lovely baby, and
lovely moment, marred only the "normal" activities of the hospital nursery,
and the lack of knowledge of the well-intentioned "lactation nurse," and the
terrible fear that this baby would "need supplementation right away." who
would have known that part of being an LC means being a private body guard for
babies? i pointed out to the mother, who is canadian, that she was having the
rare privelege of seeing the WHO code defied. when i said this, the "lactation
nurse," who had told me she had "passed her test" (not IBCLC i am assuming) a
year ago, asked, "what's that?" (about the WHO code.)

about those steps backwards and forwards. yup.

carol brussel IBCLC (think i will have it tattooed on me somewhere prominent)
cloudy, cold denver, sliding into winter