From:
Eric/Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 14:08:00 -0600
Linda--
"An Overview of Solutions to Breastfeeding and Sucking Problems" says the
following:
"One LLL medical associate advises a mother of an older baby who begins to
experience such a nipple spasm to add more calcium and magnesium to her
diet. He recommends a daily intake of 2000 mg calcium an 1000 mg magnesium
in divided does throughout the day." (Footnote reads: Linkner, Edward, MD,
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Personal communication, 1986.)

I'm not sure why the focus here is on mothers who have the blanching with an
older baby (something I've never encountered--seems to me the problem
usually surfaces much earlier), but given some of the discussionrecently
about magnesium levels it seems to me this information could be of use to
mothers with younger babies as well.

Leslie Ayre-Jaschke, BEd, IBCLC
Peace River Breastfeeding Clinic
Peace River Alberta, Canada