From:
"C. Keith Lorick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:45:23 -0500
Kathy,
Thank you for your well-worded response regarding the inane idea of
forcing/encouraging parents to make their infants sleep through the night.
I had been fed much of that sort of information, including all the supposed
"dangers" of having your baby in the bed with you, before my first child
was born.  So for the first six months of her little life I cried in my bed
while she cried in hers.  Oh, I tried Dr. Ferber's method....it only made
us both miserable.  When she was 6 months old we were loaned a copy of Dr.
Sears' book Christian Parenting and Childcare where he explained the
physiology, psychology and even the Biblical rationale of shared sleep.
Then I read Nightime Parenting and was further convinced that this concept
would help us all get a good night's sleep.  And it did.

Since then each new little person in our family has been in our bed for at
least a year and a half or two.  Even now, we often wake up with our 6 year
old son snuggled next to us. (The 3 year old, on the other hand never comes
in! She nurses a few minutes in her bed and usually sleeps soundly until
morning!)  As we have lived in 3 different countries in the last 2 years,
it is comforting to our kids to know that we are available 24 hours a day!

Keep up the good work!

Glenni Lorick, BSE, IBCLC
Lima Peru