Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:46:09 -0400
Pamela Morrison's comments about this study and especially the statement
that "the budget for this study is more than the entire health budget for
the city of Harare", no doubt for at least one year, raises the issue of
the morality of foreign monies being used to do "studies" of questionable
value to the people involved, when that money would be better spent on for
example, on educating mothers and fathers about HIV transmission or the
benefits of breastfeeding or simple to buy contraceptives for them.  My bet
is that the only thing that will come out of this study is that some
professor at Johns Hopkins (my alma mater, by the way) will milk the final
report for three or four publications and the local docs will have their
names attached for publication in a so called prestigious medical magazine
and which will allow them to make more money in their private offices.
David Bratt, former senior lecturer in Child Health, University of the West
Indies, etc, etc, etc.