From:
Anne Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:16:34 +1000
We actively encourage BF here at the RWH and have  a room for mothers to
express/pump their milk in while they are visiting their babies in NIC/SCN.

Although we do encourage mums to express by their babies as well.

we only have a very small milk room,where formula is made up for those
babies who are not BF.

we operate on  a Clinical Indicator of having 80% of our clients
breastfeeding .

We have 2 freezers one in each section of the nursery.We try not to give
formula to any of our BFers unless there is no EBM available.

breastfeeding is encouraged in the postnatal wards,many of the staff have
become lactation consultants of their own accord and everyine has to
complete a BF competency every year.
I suppose we are luck that we have a dedicated brunch of colleagues who are
committed to BF here.

Our next step is having the medical staff within the Nursery complete a BF
competency as well.Our BF Project Officer is updating our package so that
all staff dealing with breastfeeders will do it.

we are also trying to become an offical Baby Friendly Hospital.

Anne Clements Rn RM BNS
Brisbane QLD
Australia