From:
DENISE STUART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:48:39 -0500
Dear Lacnetters,
I need some help.  I have a mom (a first year resident's wife!) who
has had some problems since birth, mostly from initial mismanagement
in the hospital(not ours this time!)  She was doing well until about 2
months ago.  Right breast painful with burning nipples-yes yeast but
at that time her husband did not approve of Diflucan. Did all the
topicals,and boiling, etc but did not treat baby as he did not think
it was necessary.  Got info to him while mom's yeast was getting
worse. Finally she said she was convinced and got RX for Diflucan but
only for 5 days.  Dramatic improvement but came back after off med.
Then went on Diflucan for 2 weeks and baby also treated with Nystatin
although never any symptoms (sort of long story)  After 8 days of
being painfree on the Diflucan, is now having "achiness" in breast
much like the beginning of her yeast.  Nipples (seen today again) are
still pink and ?scaling.  I heard a dermatologist speak once that
talked about allergic dermatitis on nipples although this mom does not
have an atopic history.  I suggested Elocon which she was going to
talk over with her husband and midwife.  Do you think this is still
yeast?  Her 2 weeks of Diflucan ended yesterday.  I would refer her to
a dermatologist (maybe will yet) but one's that know anything about
breastfeeding are 20-30 miles away. TIA for any comment
Denise