From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:48:43 -0400
Hi All,
    I should have either not posted last night or checked the post
carefully. On my post concerning the mom with cancer, it should read 4
to 6 weeks for chemo (not months), oops.
    I have gone through the LactNets I have and the archives and cannot
find the quote that Dr. Jack Newman made that everyone is talking about.
I am busy with final details (it is tomorrow) for a Health Professionals
Seminar and so I have not been able to read the digests at all.
    I do go through to check all of the digets, before I file. The
presentation of breastfeeding in the media, tv, advertising, magazines
etc., has always been something that does not sit well with me. I guess
it is a personal issue. The Axa/Equitable commercial has really bothered
me, also in magazines usually the breastfeeding mother is shown in her
nightgown; a carefully appointed, low lighted nursery; or with her
clothing open to the waist. The subtle implications of these are caught
by the moms that these presentations offend. It takes a while to point
out to those who have a low opinion of breastfeeding as to how serious
these presentations are. It of course goes back to my pet peeve, the
formula companies producing the 'breastfeeding' booklets handed out by
HCPs. I just can't imagine how this continues to this day. The craziness
of this practice is not lost on me, how come others fail to see it.
Sometimes, I feel that LLL is seen as the only producer of
pro-breastfeeding literature and many are afraid of using such
literature, but as I contend there are many organizations that produce
positive breastfeeding literature to chose from. Enough of the ranting.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"If I am in harmony with my family, that is success." Ute proverb