Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 20:14:22 -0500
I just cannot resist anymore since I worked with this woman in the hospital.
This is one of those times to be reminded of how information may not be
absorbed or is forgotten and that the history is more than what the parents
may report.
This was a very involved case, baby was early, mother's breast are
irreparably damaged, the clavicle was not an issue earlier because this baby
did NOT respond with any pain.  Mother started pumping the day of delivery
and has every written bit of information on how often to pump and
supplementation of the baby.  Mother had lots of attention, appropriate
concerns for the milk supply and keeping the baby fed.  This little one did
not wish to latch at all, ever, in spite of lots of skin to skin, etc.
I am really thrilled that this mother is hanging in with the breastfeeding
at all, considering the challenges. These challenges were not caused by
mismanagement or neglect.
OK, feeling less defensive now.
Thanks, Lu Bush, BSN,RNC, IBCLC, Austin, TX