From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:46:18 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/2006 2:38:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

What  might be applicable in the NICU loses much value on the outside.

AND, I  am certain that more babies are harmed than helped by day two
weighing in  the nursery.  This is the nursery staff=B9s key lever in
convincing  mothers they =B3have no milk, anyway .  .  .=B2  Not all
nurseries
I=B9m sure, just all the ones I=B9ve  seen.

Jay and others, I am going to chime in on this topic.  I am wondering  in
Jay's above statement if "test weights" and daily weights are being combined  in
this discussion?
If so, these are very different animals!
I agree with you Jay, that the weight of a newborn on day 2 of life is
ridiculous and should not be done.  I think a birth weight and a discharge  weight
is all that is needed.
But test weights is totally different.  This is a tool to use to help  make
an assessment.  It is only a small snap shot of the big picture and I  let mo
thers know this.  I use test weights often in my out patient  visits.  Most of
my visits are about mothers who feel they are not  producing enough or babies
with poor weight gain.  I also believe in test  weights in the NICU.
The person doing the test weighing needs to have the right equipment and
know what they are doing.  This includes explaining to a mother that other
feedings will be different from this one.
Test weights can be like the tool pumps; they only show a small picture of
what is going on.  I have moms who say they have no milk because they get  very
little out from a pump or a pedi who tells a mom to pump to see how much  she
makes.
Please keep an open mind to this tool and when and where it can be
beneficial.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA