Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:12:44 EST
Help!  Saw a new mom today who was happy for me to post her concern.  She
delivered 2 days ago; PIH, on mag sulfate, baby in the NICU.  Since about 6
months of pregnancy, she has had some bleeding from her nipples --
bilaterally -- about once a week, she'd wake up in the morning w/ a stain on
her bra/shirt that was as big as a quarter.  Her OB finally did an ultrasound
on her breasts and didn't find anything.  They were going to do a mammogram,
but deferred it because of the pregnancy.  She was to see a surgeon to see if
he/she knew what it was, but then she was put on bedrest for the hypertension
and then induced (and then, of course, had a C/Section) so never did see the
surgeon.

Breasts did not enlarge appreciably during the pregnancy (depending on who
you talk to -- Mom says she didn't even go up a cup size, dad thinks they
DEFINITELY changed :>D)

Baby on IV's in the NICU, so she pumped two or three times yesterday and once
this morning.  Blood is mixed w/ colostrum, but is definitely of the
"brighter" dark red vintage rather than the darker dark red color that is
reminiscent of rusty pipe syndrome.  Papilloma?  but bilateral?  And not show
up on ultrasound?

I've encouraged her to go ahead and put baby to breast as soon as they "let"
her, but to continue pumping frequently today to see if we can clear it.
They said there was no change in the color between yesterday and today --
each time it has looked just about the same.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Jan in Wheaton where the sun is shining, but where one of my new moms this
morning was instructed to nurse "11 minutes on the first side and 4 on the
second."  I truly thought I was going to break down and start crying. -- I
would have, except I was laughing in disbelief!