From:
Beth Bejnarowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:00:59 +0100
Dear Jamelle,

I found this Question and Answer article on cold sores while breastfeeding.

Plus, I have personal experience of each time my son gets a cold sore and
then breastfeeds.
He's 21 months and still breastfeeding.  He has probably had cold sores on
his mouth and lips 10 separate times during his life.  The first time, I was
very concerned, but now I don't worry.  The cold sores have never been
transferred to my breasts or nipples.  I have had cold sores throughout my
life.  I got them from my mother.  She breastfed me and never got cold sores
on her breasts.  I must have transferred the cold sores to my son.  My older
daughter seems immune to them, just like her father who has never had them.

Beth Bejnarowicz
LLLL
England

Baby has cold sore: Safe to nurse?
by Debbi Donovan, IBCLC

My two-month-old baby has developed a cold sore. Is it safe to continue
nursing?

If your baby has a cold sore in or around his mouth, and you have continued
nursing, you have already been exposed.

If by chance, you developed a herpes lesion on your breast, it would need to
be cultured by your Health Care Provider to be certain of the diagnosis.
Prompt treatment with acyclovir reduces the time the virus is actually
present in the sores, speeds the healing, lessens the discomfort, and
reduces your chance of a repeat occurrence.

Theoretically, your baby could transmit the herpes virus from a cold sore on
his mouth to your breast. The virus is spread through contact with the
sores. In reality, I have heard of only one reported case of transmission of
herpes from a nursing toddler to a mother (Sealander, 1989.) Most likely,
original transmission of the Herpes Simplex Virus, Type l, is from mom to
baby.

In correspondence with Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC, I found
that for the Herpes Simplex Virus, Type l "nearly 95 percent of adults test
positive (worldwide it's 90 percent). Type l can be of the mouth "cold sore"
variety OR on other body parts, including the genitals, but it is still Type
l, even there. Genital Herpes (Type II) is USUALLY located in the genital
area. Type II prevalence is 20 percent overall in the US adult
population...It is VERY unlikely that this is Type II." For citations see
Benenson, AS (ed). Control of Communicable Diseases in Man, 1994. American
Public Health Association.

I need to point out that if you have herpes and develop a lesion on or near
your breast while nursing, it is extremely important to contact your Health
Care Provider immediately. Herpes can be fatal in the newborn and may be
dangerous even for older babies. It is important for your baby not to be in
contact with any lesions. If the lesion is in a place where it can be
covered, breastfeeding can continue. Regular and thorough hand washing is
especially important during a herpes outbreak.