From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:00:51 -0500

Hi Jaye,

I don't have any hard scientific research to cite about breastfeeding and
fibrocystic breasts, but I want to share that my breasts continue to be very
"lumpy" through my lactation experience (over 5 years with no break as of
right now!).

My breasts used to be very lumpy and painful, especially around my period.
What helped me was cutting out caffeine and supplementing with a good
multivitamin (I think it was vitamin D that eased the pain, but I could be
wrong about that).

I do get a lot of galactoceles, perhaps those are the fibrocystic lumps that
just fill with milk?  I don't know for sure.  Warm compresses help me
through these first few weeks with a newborn when I tend to get a lot of the
milk-cysts and they can be sore.

Again, nothing scientific, just anecdotal here.  It bears mentioning that I
am very vigilant about my breast anatomy because just weeks before I gave
birth to my first nursling over 5 years ago, my mother was diagnosed with
breast cancer.  I ask a lot of questions and try to really stay on top of
things.

--Diana in NY (with baby in arms!)