From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:49:02 -0800
As  healthcare consumer advocates, we must always counsel clients about risk/benefit ratios, give them solid information and let them make an informed decision.  The OB's are using logic that fits their schedules and timing.   There may be some truth to their logic, but there may not be any truth to it either.    I think the real question is whether these babies are 'frank' breech where the baby's bottom fills the pelvis and would not put the baby in danger of a prolapsed cord if mother goes into labor and the membranes rupture out of the hospital.  Hospitals are there for emergency care; that is true.  But the baby's welfare is what is at risk.  Dating of pregnancies has improved, but it is not a sure thing, so prematuity is also a risk with a scheduled C-section or induction of labor.  I would sugest talking them through these issues, giving them true stats and letting them make informed decisions.

Have they been given any info about doing a version or how to try to get the baby to turn by themself?  I wonder if a midwife could give them some help.  An older doctor with some experience in delivering breech babies might give them a second opinion.

Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin   IL    USA