From:
Michelle Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 19:15:53 -0800
Morgan,

Thanks so much for your reply and complementary views of the product.  As with all mothers and babies, and all different nursing styles and relationships, do what works for you and your family.

I am still hesitant to support or recommend a product that puts constant pressure on the nipple and surrounding tissue, and is additionally recommended for regular nighttime and daily use.

Some mothers find that wearing a tight sports bra never causes plugged ducts or mastitis, but it causes problems in many other lactating women.  Saying "many women find that wearing a tight sports bra may cause discomfort and lead to plugged ducts and possibly mastitis" is a regular and recommended statement of many LCs.  I believe that Lilly Padz fall into the same category.  Of course, if someone has a personal story to share about wearing a sports bra and never having any trouble, then two thumbs up, but probably not a recommendation for all lactating women.

Do I have any research to back up my statements on Lilly Padz and an increase in mastitis risks?  Certainly not, but if someone has some serious cash to put forward then let's do a study!

Of course I'm not saying that only women who wear Lilly Padz get plugged ducts!  I've never worn them and I've certainly had my share of plugged ducts...usually brought on by delaying a feeding, wearing a tight shirt or bra, or mismanaging my body's supply and demand system.  I think it's a little bit fiesty to imply such a statement from me, and certainly asking for a spicy rebuttal. ;-)

My breasts constantly dripped, leaked and soaked many a nursing pad, both disposable and reusable.  That is a fact of breastfeeding life, seeing it as a "problem/drawback" is an entirely different topic, more in the "is my cup half full or half empty".  I never chose to see the dripping, leaking, soaking the bed (and my partner), over-abundant supply issues as a problem.

Morgan said:
<<<I guess the reason I'm responding at all, really, is the thought that
the message in your post is that... women don't need nursing pads if
they do the 'right' things... this simply isn't true for a lot of
women.  Leaking breasts are an issue for women with breast shapes that
dangle and droop.  It's a pain in the butt.  It is a challenge of
breastfeeding for some of us.  We do have to deal with it.>>>

Definitely not!  Women need nursing pads because they are nursing!  Women's breasts leak because they are nursing, not because they are mismanaging their bodies.  Women of all shapes and sizes leak and drip and spray, some more than others because of overactive let-downs or over-abundant supplies.  Wearing a breast pad is a fact of breastfeeding life, one which I am in complete agreement with.  But wearing a product that puts pressure directly onto the nipple and surrounding area is what causes a red-flag for me.  Not a good idea for *many* lactating women.  Marketing these products to stop women's breasts from doing *exactly what they are supposed to be doing* may cause many women to experience... "Certain complications are inherent to breastfeeding. Should you experience redness, burning, irritation or fever, seek the advice of a medical professional."

Perhaps it should be rewritten as such: "Certain complications are inherent when applying constant pressure to a lactating breast, which is how our product works.  Should you experience redness, burning, irritation or fever, stop using our product immediately and seek the advice of a medical professional."

That statement would make me feel better about how this product is marketed, so that women considering purchasing these for regular use understand that they may be increasing their chances of developing plugged ducts or mastitis.

I still wouldn't use them or recommend them.

Cheers,
Michelle Swanson, LLLL
mother of three, tandem nursing two
Wyoming, USA