From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:55:31 EDT
Dear Friends:
     Thanks to all the dear hearts from all over the world who have responded
to this case.
     After the bath together, baby rooted and rooted and rooted and then got
progressively angry. So mom gave EBM in a bottle. I don't like to work with
angry babies. I never did observe a feed. Mom reported that baby would latch,
sometimes with a newborn small silicone nipple shield, and sometimes without,
but would not sustain.
     Is it a flow issue?
     Baby will not even glance at the breasts now.
     As for other questions: At the home visit (Baby was 10 days old), mother
had soft breasts, compressible nipples of average (not tiny, not huge) size.
Baby was induced at 41 weeks, epidural in last 2 hours, pitocin, mom pushed
baby out herself. Baby's mouth action was symmetrical.
     The mother said, at one point, that she felt "my kids aren't sucky, they
will spit out a pacifier." We tried a bait and switch with a finger, a
pacifier, and a bottle. None of which worked. Baby would hold breast in her
mouth, suck 1-2 times, then scream.
     Mom and I discussed an SNS, but mom wasn't very receptive to the idea. I
wish I had encouraged finger feeding, now, in hindsight. Perhaps that would
have helped baby get used to working a bit for flow. Maybe this is the issue
for the baby, an attachment to flow. Although mom was using a slow flow
nipple.
     No CST, as money is an issue for this family. The 2nd LC was paid for by
insurance.
     I will suggest the SNS and finger feeding to the mom....perhaps she will
be more receptive to another gadget now.
     Thanks for the collective wisdom.
     Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE
craniosacral therapy practitioner
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; northeastern USA)
supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative