From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:14:06 -0400
I have tandem nursed three of my four children. When I had my second baby
(22 years ago), mothers were told to limit the length of feedings, and
babies were test-weighed before and after feedings. I only stayed in the
hospital for 20 hours and my toddler son visited and nursed much of the
time, as did his newborn sister. The nurse who weighed the baby came back
and told me that she had gotten "too much milk." I thought that was funny,
but she was quite serious. It was not normal for a baby this young to get so
much colostrum, she said, and it would be too hard on her system. Well, I
went home, the baby did just fine, and at five days was four ounces over her
birthweight.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario