From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:15:33 -0600
(I had previously sent this directly to Megan, but thought it should also be
shared with the list).

Megan,

I think its incredible what you have accomplished in bringing the issue to
the media.  I was not trying to discourage that at all.  It great, its what
we all should be doing, and by doing it as "just a mom", you can speak more
freely than many professionals (especially those that are employed by health
care organizations) may be allowed.

I know what you mean about being too small for them to be concerned about,
but I would still be careful.  Since you were mostly just bringing people
together, I guess each individual would have to worry about how they talk
about this.

But although "you" are small, you are making big things happen, so you're
not small anymore!  So they may notice you!  Better to stay silent and do
your work, without them knowing who is behind it!  (I think)

We always talk about how much $$$ is involved with this, I think we would be
naive to think they wouldn't attempt to defend those markets in the courts.
(Just my opinion)

I'm new to speaking to the media, so I am just starting to learn and think
about what is okay to say, and what isn't.

If any of you more experienced voices have tips or guidelines of how to
avoid "getting into trouble" when speaking to the media, please share.

In solidarity,
Janice Reynolds