From:
Anna Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 09:50:25 +0100
Hi All,
I just have to celebrate with you all :-) A while back, I was contacted
via email, seperately, by two mothers of Down's Syndrome babies who
wanted to breastfeed. I tried to be realistic (I understand that nursing
such babies is often not easy) but positive and told them it might be a
lot of work. I encouraged them about the particular benefits of
breastmilk to a neurologically impaired baby, plus both babies had heart
problems. Ofcourse, I strongly encouraged both mums to get an
experienced LC to work with (experienced LCs who would see these babies
as challenges and who didn't believe in being beaten).

Well, today I received emails from both mums. Both babies are now
exclusively breastfed without supplements and gaining well! Yahoo!

I am particularly excited to see how these babies develop, as I believe
they will have significant advantages over the Down's Syndrome adults my
mother works with, all of whom were bottlefed from birth, often
institutionalised from birth, not given a decent education etc. I'm
fully expecting miracles here :-)
--
Anna H.
mailto: [log in to unmask]