Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:23:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I Listened to a local talk show WNIR (out of Akron, Ohio) have a discussion on the BF while driving incident, the talk show host kept trying to get
callers to comment on whether or not the police had the right to pull a mother over for breastfeeding.  Most callers kept bringing up how
irresponsible it is to have a baby on your lap behind the wheel, which of course it is. The host was irate that someone could call the
highway patrol and turn her in for doing something as natural as feeding her baby which he (a trucker) only saw while peeking down into her car
when passing.  The host was much more fed up that nobody turns in the families who have toddlers/children standing and/or jumping on the seats
(front or back) not buckled in and felt that she was singled out for the breastfeeding.  Few wanted to discuss that part of it unless to say 'mom
could have just given a bottle of formula for the drive'.  One woman even called in to say that this mother probably had to feed her baby just at that
moment because "women have this thing called let down that hurts and your body tells you that your baby has to eat NOW!  That's how you
know when your baby is hungry."  Then she said the mother should have pulled over though because she put her baby in danger and she should
go to parenting classes.

I don't know if she was really breastfeeding or just had the baby in her lap because the baby wouldn't quiet, and used "I was breastfeeding" as a
way to try to get out of a ticket.  I believe the real issue was that the mother didn't pull over right away, didn't have a valid drivers license and of
course, child not in car seat, I am not sure what else.  But, I too, think that it is just another message from the media to make breastfeeding
sound like something weird and that mothers who do it must not have common sense.

I couldn't get into the site you listed but I will keep trying.

Cheryl

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2