From:
Elaine Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:37:12 -0500
It sounds to me like the mom needs help and is in need of follow-up and
home visits, by a VNA if possible. It does not sound like a case for CPS
(Child Protection Services), at least not now. Many moms have trouble
keeping their pedi appts. and especially if she is in school. Have you
tried calling her at different times of the day? I would establish a
greater rapport (if possible) with the mom, and if you can, try to
connect her with visiting nurse or teen parenting groups, if appropriate.
She is behaving in a motivated manner. She needs help from the right
people (YOU). I agree with whoever said CPS will probably take the baby
from the home and disrupt the whole family. If possible, how much better
to work within her own structure, if it is working. Can you do daily
follow-up calls? Or referrals? Try those means first. CPS is ALWAYS a
last resort.

Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
Cambridge-Somerville WIC
Massachusetts, USA