From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 08:57:46 -0400
When I lived in Peterborough, one of the mothers who came to my LLL group
meetings was advised by her doctor to wean her six-week-old baby because she
had chronic health problems (I can no longer remember what they were), and
the doctor felt breastfeeding was an added stress to her system.

She continued to come to meetings for months after that with, as she stated,
the goal of letting new mothers know what a mistake this had been! Her baby
was frequently ill, fussy, and much more exhausting to take care of, and
because she was still friendly with many mothers in the group who were
breastfeeding, she could really see the difference. Her next baby was
breastfed for three and a half years, despite the doctor's insistence that
it would be stressful. She knew better.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario