From:
Cathy Carothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:02:36 CDT
We are very excited that the Mississippi WIC Program is receiving a major
grant from USDA for breastfeeding promotion activities over the next 3 years.
One of the funded activities we are going to launch immediately is providing
"Mini Grants" to local health departments who wish to undertake a "Clinic
Environment Project" to make their clinic more supportive for breastfeeding
moms.  Staff in clinics awarded a "mini grant" will also receive indepth task
appropriate training, including one-on-one observational training with a
Lactation Consultant.  We'll be evaluating knowledge/attitudes/beliefs and
perception of support by both clients and staff before and after the projects
are implemented, and comparing with clinics that do NOT participate in a
clinic improvement project.

Our desire is for clinics to be creative and innovative in coming up with
ideas for improvements THEY think will meet needs within their clinic
setting.  However, I am going to throw out a few suggestions to get them
thinking, including: establishing a room or area for quiet or private
nursing, aesthetic improvements that promote breastfeeding, non-monetary
incentives, or recognition efforts.

What types of clinic environmnent efforts have YOU found to be helpful in
increasing a mother's perception of support for breastfeeding in a clinic
setting?  I'd love to hear your ideas!

Cathy Carothers, IBCLC
State WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator - Mississippi