Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:40:52 EDT
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US issues recalls for food
products with problems. Every Wednesday the FDA Enforcement Report is updated
on their web page, listing the food and drug items recalled during the week.
The address is:

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/hpnews.html

It classifies the recalls as Class I, II, or III depending on how life
threatening the problem is. It also lists why the recall was issued. However,
it does not list voluntary market withdrawals that manufacturers often do
when they know of a problem. These are sometimes done for mislabeling or to
avoid the official action that the government takes.

What do other countries do in terms of recalling defective infant formula and
baby food? I would be happy to put together an international listing of all
infant formula and baby food recalls. Maybe this would help policy makers
understand that infant formula and human milk are not equivalent.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA