From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:25:51 +0200
Heather posted on the Norwegian study published in the latest Archives of
Disease in Childhood.  It was reported in one of the tabloids here today,
and Torstein Vik, the researcher, was quoted at the end as saying 'Mothers
who didn't breastfeed needn't worry.  I wasn't breastfed myself and it seems
to have gone well enough.'
Time to write a short but pointed letter to the editor, I see.  IQ of 105 or
115 probably makes no great difference.  But as Kathy Dettwyler has pointed
out more than once, we should be emphasizing the need for breastfeeding the
more vulnerable children, such as children with Downs' syndrome.  The
difference between 75 and 85 most certainly makes a difference.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway
happy today because even with a random sampling of children born more than 5
years ago, only 17 per cent were breastfed less than three months, and only
34 per cent less than six.